Did you know hormonal acne is a common skin issue that can be treated? Learn more here, while also finding the best skincare options near me.
Hormonal acne is a kind of acne brought on by hormonal abnormalities in the body. It is most commonly associated with the hormonal changes that occur during puberty. Still, it can also affect people later in life, particularly women during their menstrual cycle, pregnancy, or menopause.
Causes of hormonal acne
Various causes of hormonal acne are listed as under;
- Androgens are masculine hormones that are found in modest concentrations in females. As testosterone levels rise, the sebaceous glands in the skin generate more oil, which can cause blocked pores and acne.
- Hormonal acne is most common in women during their menstrual cycle, when levels of estrogen and progesterone fluctuate. These fluctuations can trigger acne breakouts, particularly in the chin and jawline.
- Acne can also be a result of hormonal changes during pregnancy. As estrogen levels rise, they can increase sebum production, leading to clogged pores and breakouts.
- Menopause also causes hormonal acne due to changes in hormone levels. As estrogen levels decline, androgen levels can dominate, increasing oil production and acne.
- Stress contributes to hormonal acne by triggering the release of cortisol, a stress hormone that can increase androgen levels and stimulate sebum production.
- Certain medications, such as corticosteroids and some hormonal contraceptives, can also contribute to hormonal imbalances and acne breakouts.
Overall, hormonal acne is a complex condition that is influenced by a variety of factors. While some of these factors, such as the menstrual cycle and menopause, are natural processes that cannot be avoided, others, such as stress and medication use, can be managed to help reduce the frequency and severity of acne breakouts.
Treatment option for hormonal acne
If you’re struggling with hormonal acne, you’re not alone; and looking for ‘how to get rid of acne scars, the good news is that there are effective treatment options available at medspas and wellness clinics. These facilities offer a soothing environment where you can access advanced treatments and professional guidance to help you achieve clearer, healthier skin.
One popular option is chemical peels, which gently remove the top layer of skin to promote new cell growth and improve the appearance of acne-prone areas. Another method is light therapy, which uses specific wavelengths of light to reduce inflammation and kill acne-causing bacteria.
Customized facials can also be effective, especially when tailored to your skin concerns and incorporating active ingredients targeting hormone-related acne. Medspa professionals can offer expert advice on lifestyle changes and home skincare routines to support your journey to clear your skin further.
How to get rid of acne scars
To get rid of acne scars, there are numerous treatment options available, including:
- By eliminating the top layer of the skin, Chemical peels can assist in reducing the visibility of acne scars.
- Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure uses a special tool to gently remove the top layer of skin, helping to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
- Microneedling employs a device with small needles to make tiny punctures in the skin, promoting collagen synthesis and aiding in the look of acne scars.
- As mentioned above, laser treatments can also effectively reduce the appearance of acne scars.
It’s important to note that the best treatment for acne scars and hormonal acne may vary depending on the severity and type of scarring. It’s recommended to consult with a dermatologist or skincare professional at BeautyBorn Medspa in Phoenix, Arizona, to determine the best treatment plan for your specific needs.